I have been reading a lot about depression and natural ways of relieving the symptoms. My psychologist suggested I read the book “Creative Visualization” by Shakti Gawain. At first I thought the whole idea was a little hoax-y but I decided to read it through. The ideas she presents in the first chapters make a lot of sense, you can read more about her philosophy and the ways I am trying to apply it to my life on the ‘Creative Visualization’ page, but this page will focus on something from her eighth section in part one entitled “Affirmations”.
Put simply an affirmation is a positive statement of what you want to have, be, feel, see, or experience. On this page I will add affirmations as I find ones that speak to me. I already discovered the first one writing my first post and will put it as number one in my list. I realize that repeating affirmations isn’t going to change the big things wrong in my life, but at least I will be trying to change my mind from negative thoughts to positive ones. I also realized that there have been many times that I have used affirmations without really knowing that is what I was doing. Have you ever been on the way to an interview or something that you were really nervous about and in your head you kept repeating “everything will be fine, I will do great in this interview”? Essentially, you were repeating affirmations. So maybe it isn’t as hocky as I thought…
I am not sure if I believe that my thoughts can shape and create my reality, but as I said before, some of what she says makes a lot of sense, so what the hell? Here I go:
- Today was good, tomorrow will be better.
- I will achieve my goals, every day I am closer.
- I am worthwhile, loving and loved.
- I experience success by writing a few words a day.
- I am an interesting and loving person who deserves the same from my partner.
- I am exactly where I am meant to be here and now and I am content.
- Being content everyday is bringing success into my life.
- The life I want and deserve will come.
Can you think of any affirmations that help you deal?